Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Along for the ride

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring
Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will
be released, that blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free
and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.”

Day after day this is the verse that God speaks to me. Sometimes in a
whisper – as I’m holding a baby who can neither hear nor see.
Sometimes in a shout – as I place shoes on the feet of a 10 year old
child for the first time ever.

Some days I find myself SO frustrated because I want to be helping
more. I want to give the children here ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that I
can. On those days, God reminds me that I’m not here to change
everything, but I’m here to proclaim that the captives are free. I am
here to declare that the time of the Lord’s favor has come to Yako.
That the blind WILL see, that the hurting WILL be comforted. Maybe I
won’t see it all happen, but I am here to proclaim it. One shoe at a
time. One baby at a time. And I am reminded that it’s not about MY
plan. It’s not about what I think should happen while I am here, but
it’s about God’s plan for Burkina. And I am so incredibly grateful to
be part of that plan. I am humbled everyday that God chose me to come
here, to be part of his plan for this beautiful place and these
beautiful people. I now realize it’s no use getting frustrated because
I’m just along for the ride.  And while I’m on this awe-inspiring
ride, I will keep on changing diapers, playing patty-cake, smiling,
getting lost, making bracelets, rocking babies to sleep, loving deeply
and learning every second of the way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Soooo I wrote a long comment on your last post but it didn't show up. I Love You and I love hearing about your adventures and the things you are learning and experiencing. I am so proud of you my friend. Also Challenged by your willingness to go. Can't get enough of these blogs, it makes it feel like you are not so far away. Keep them coming!

Ms. Barbara said...

People like us pour our heart and soul into children and want only the very best for them. I think God's words to you about doing what you can for that particular day is spot in, but it's so hard when you want to make it all right for them. Loving your journey.

 
Images by Freepik