Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gratitude

Gratitude.
gratitude |ˈgratəˌt(y)o͞od|nounthe quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
My 4th grade teacher used to say "Gratitude is a RAD-itude!" He was an extremely simple man who loved everyone he met. To this day, I can't hear the word, and not think of him. Gratitude has changed me. It has altered my perspective. It has totally adapted the lens through which I see life. I can CHOOSE thankfulness. I can CHOOSE to celebrate every blessing that comes my way. I can get extremely stoked about the moments of breakthrough and progress that I see in my life. I don't have to be bummed. I don't have to expect failure or sadness or depression or bad things. I can have a thankful heart and mind and life! Gratitude is incredible, and it changes you. When you posture your life to find things to be thankful for, instead of the opposite, you begin to notice all of the wonderful and lovely things in life. 
A friend of mine mentioned a website to me once. It's called the 30 Day Gratitude Challenge.  It talks ALL about gratitude, and its effects on your life. Each month, I get an email that has a different challenge in it. This month's challenge: Do one thing each week (minimum) that makes you happier. The e-mail contains dozens of blogs and videos that have information and ideas about this very topic. There is a blog that has 30+ was to make OTHERS more happy. 
I've decided to take on this challenge. And, to add to it, I will also do one thing a week to make another person happy. So far, this week, I sent out a dozen thank you notes to friends. I addressed them, stuck stamps on them, and sent them through (gasp) "snail-mail" to be delivered to their homes. Maybe I'm the only one, but I LOVE getting mail.... I will keep you all posted on my weekly "happy" thing as the week goes on. Check out the web site! Join the challenge! Get excited about life! Be happy! You're allowed to be! 

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik