Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

A little bit about my thankfulness

Back in November, I got wind of a great idea from a friend of mine... 30 days of thanks. Instead of just being thankful on Thanksgiving, the idea was to be thankful for the entire month of November. What started off as a "challenge" has turned into a new way to see the world. A change in posture, if you will. Another friend of mine wrote a blog yesterday along these same lines, and it sparked my passion all over again. Life is too short to be negative all of the time. Of course there are going to be bummer days. Bummer weeks. Bummer season. Sure, that's part of life. But if the ONLY thing you can ever see is the down side, the negative, the cruddy part of your day, what kind of life is that? I want to be full of thanks and gratitude. I live an incredible life. Sure, I've been through my fair share of trials. I've had some pretty low lows. There are been some pretty dark seasons of my life. But I refuse to believe that's all there is to life.

I'm thankful to have an incredible family that loves me and speaks life and courage into me.
I'm thankful to live in one of the most diversely beautiful places in the world (argue with me if you'd like, but you're wasting your breath).
I'm thankful to have a God who is jealous for me, who loves me with an unfailing, never ending love.
I'm thankful to have a job that I absolutely love.
I'm thankful.
For a whole lot.
My life is incredible. And that's what I choose to see. I choose to see the good, the beautiful, the positive parts of my life. Call me naive or simple. I don't care. My life is good. I'm lucky. I choose to thank God every day for the wonderful things he's given me. Sure, some of them may have come in pretty crappy packages, but they turned out to be incredible nonetheless.

So, like I said, this whole thing started out as a 30 day challenge and has turned out to be one of the most life-changing challenges I've ever taken. It changed everything. The posture I have, the lens I see life through... It's powerful!
My hope is that my thanks and joy and gratitude could be contagious to those around me.
Because life is just too short.

1 comment:

stuckinmypedals said...

Isn't it great how one small change can impart a huge shift? I had the same type of change happen which is why I couldn't let it go. I keep thinking of that Waterdeep lyric "A thankful heart prepares the way for you, my God." The truth of that excites me!

 
Images by Freepik